Summertime is a fun time, but all those joyous summer activities can present some danger to your hearing aids. Don’t worry though, we won’t let anything spoil your summer fun. Today we have some tips for preparing your hearing aids for summer and protecting them during all your summer fun.
Summer Prep Tips
One of the main reasons that summer can be hard on your hearing aids is because of all the excess moisture. Between it being the rainy season, more humid in general, and all of the water activities popular during summer, your hearing aids are often in a position where they might get wet. Water and hearing aids don’t mix, but when you prepare ahead of time, you can protect your hearing aids and won’t have to worry about it.
- Get a dehumidifier to have on hand to help dry out your hearing aids should they get any extra moisture in them.
- Consider getting a protective sleeve if you plan on participating in water activities.
- Learn the rating on your hearing aids and know if they are water-resistant or waterproof, and how much water they can or cannot withstand.
- Stock up on cleaning cloths.
- If you are planning to travel for summer vacation, take extra batteries with you.
Protecting Your Hearing Aids in Summertime
Besides preparing your hearing aids for summer, there are several things you can do to protect them during your summer activities.
- Have your protective sleeve and case on hand at all times so that you can protect your hearing aids if the weather turns bad or if your plans change. That way, you can protect or store your hearing aids and not miss out on the fun or worry about being caught in a rainstorm.
- Leave your hearing aids open overnight and when you aren’t wearing them so that they can dry out if any humidity or moisture has gotten inside.
- Wipe dry and clean your hearing aids each time you take them out.
- Regularly inspect all the parts of your hearing aid, especially if you have tubing or wires that need to maintain a connection.
- Bring your hearing aids into your hearing professional regularly for scheduled maintenance.