Guide to Learning Sign Language
Sign language is a great option to help those with hearing loss to communicate. There are so many different ways to learn sign language, it makes it easy to learn simply from the variety of ways it is taught. You can find the method that works best for you. Today, we discuss what sign language is all about and the different ways you can learn sign language.
What is Sign Language?
Before we learn anything about how to do sign language, let’s explain what it is, exactly. The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) defines American Sign Language as a complete, complex language that employs signs made by moving the hands combined with facial expressions and postures of the body. It is the primary language of many North Americans who are deaf and is one of several communication options used by people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
How to Learn Sign Language
As we already mentioned, there are so many different ways to learn sign language, that makes it easier to find one that works best for you. Here are 10 ways to approach learning sign language:
- Start with the basics by learning how to sign the alphabet.
- Keep a sign language dictionary, for reference.
- Hire a private tutor.
- Take a class at your local school or community center.
- Take an online course.
- Watch free videos online, like on YouTube.
- Read a book that teaches sign language.
- Ask a friend who knows sign language to teach you.
- There are apps & software programs available so that you can learn on your computer or mobile device.
- Keep practicing; continue to practice words you’ve already learned and slowly add new ones.
Audiology Clinic Specializes in Solutions for Hearing Loss
At Audiology Clinic, we are here to help you through hearing loss. For more information, contact us today and schedule an appointment. We are here for you and work to meet your specific listening needs.